Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Great minds talk ideas

As a college student, I'm very well aware of the fact that if I want a job right after college, it's important that I start making connections now.

Connections. Connections. Connections.

It's hard to make a name for yourself without knowing anyone. At first, I thought that only celebrities had a tough industry to get into. Between talent scouts, finding gigs, knowing the right people to help you reach the peak of your career, it can get a little overwhelming. But it's the concept for most if not all jobs out there. A lot of has to do with starting small. Whether it's slaving away volunteer hours or getting involved in a conference related to your major. Absolutely everything counts. Which kind of got me thinking...

Taking a look around friends, past friends, and peers through Facebook, it looks like everyone's doing great. A lot of my friends are going abroad this summer or in the fall semester and others have found great internships and volunteer opportunities at big name hospitals and companies. But here's where I'm trying to point out...

I find myself kind of lagging. I don't want to settle for a job at a small name company. Even if it means doing unpaid volunteer work until I graduate at a large company where I know I want to spend the rest of my career in, so be it. I think I get too caught up in trivial things lately when I should spend my time getting answers and meeting new people that I know will help me in the future. I find myself almost down casting my own ideas because I look to others' opinions too often. No road is the same and not everyone has to travel on the same road.

This summer will probably devoted to making connections with new people in my field. I feel like a lot of my peers are making big moves in the city whereas I'm a sitting duck. I have big dreams that I hope to reach and I won't get there if I don't stop listening to the wrong people.

No comments:

Post a Comment