I remember, the beginning of the year I was in a very weird place with how I felt with the people I called my closes friends for the past 5-6 years of my life. I remember feeling a lot of anguish and I was very troubled by the fact that I no longer meant anything to them. But as the months went by and the very vague motto "college happened" came true, I began to accept that sometimes the people we set ourselves to spend our future with will not always turn out that way. For some reason, I found this very difficult to accept and in turn, I found it very difficult to find new friends to replace them. However, now I'm glad to say I'm on a new plane of acceptance. I realized that it's not that I needed to replace anyone or that anyone had done me wrong. Friendships don't lose meaning but only gain a different definition.
But in between all that bitterness, I found a new obsession with Les Miserable which now has a special connotation for me. I was taken a wonderful Valentine's Day date. I attended my first concerts which included Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. I finished my first year of college. I got my first job. I found a new love for yoga. Had a great summer. And had another successful semester.
I'm very thankful for a wonderful year and hope for nothing but better and bigger things in 2014. Here are a few (not all) of my resolutions that I'd like to share...
- Do More Yoga - Now, I understand yoga is not for everyone and the thought of twisting in ways you never thought you could twist sounds terrifying. But personally, whenever I attend a yoga class or even do yoga by myself at home, I find myself more at peace with myself. Whatever stress was aching in my shoulders or whatever worrisome thought that made me take mindless shallow breaths suddenly dissipated. I become more mindful and aware and it doesn't even have to happen during a "yoga" session. But it can happen even in simple meditation.
- Write More - I truly do enjoy blogging. It's saddening how much I neglect it while I'm in school. But this year, I want to make it a goal to still keep up with my blog. It may not mean to blog every day but to blog when I feel the need to blog rather than putting it off and off until I forget about it.
- Do More of What Makes Me Happy - I met a special person this year, Johnny Cupcakes. And I never really took what he said and applied it to my life. But after reflecting of this past year, I'm going to make it part of my resolutions.
- Let Things Go - I have a nasty habit to hold onto thoughts until I become brittle with bitterness and I break. Which is such an unhealthy habit. I need to learn to let things go and know that I can't control everything.
- Shop Less, Window Shop More - I was taking a look around my closet the other day and the amount of clothes I have in my closet that I no longer wear is almost disgustingly selfish that I just want to grab my entire closet and just donate it. Growing up in middle school and high school, I felt some sort of desire to constantly buy new things for super cheap prices. As a result, I have a bunch of cheap clothes that don't even look good anymore because they're so cheap. Most of them I just bought because I was so lured by the cheap prices that I just couldn't pass them up. Which is just so plain ridiculous, I don't know why no one stopped me.
With all of that said, 2014 awaits! Happy New Year's Eve! :)